Welcome

A Warm Welcome to my Blog




Friday 2 February 2018

The Adventures of Becky - The Midnight Callers

 
The second episode in the Adventures of Becky, how will our heroine deal with the forces of evil and the arch villan Count Jaques Spaarks. Read on and find out in "Midnight Callers". Drum roll and lights fade to black.

The 1st Episode in the daring adventures of Becky are here. http://vagabondswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/the-adventures-of-becky-mean-streets-of.html 
and the background is here http://vagabondswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/the-adventures-of-becky-red-jade-budha.html

Becky caught the train to Inverness, her friend Roxanne has a small house just outside the town and Becky was able to get a taxi from the station with no trouble, her other best friend Gabrielle Ross was there as well, she would now have two other heads to think about the problem that her beloved Father had given her.

The heroines Becky, Gabrielle and Roxanne. That Kev White sure can sculpt a sexy bottom. Umm maybe I shouldn’t have said that.


On the train journey up to Inverness she had had time to look through the journal that he had left her, most of it made little sense reading it for the first time but enough to realize that if she chose she would be setting out on a difficult and maybe dangerous undertaking, and she was not sure where or how to start or even if she wished go at all.

That is where her two friends would come in handy, a couple of weeks tramping the hills of Scotland as they discussed the issues involved before deciding if the best course of action was not just to turn the documents over to the Archaeology Department at her old University and let them do as they thought best.

They had a riotous evening catching up on each others lives since they last met, the malt whiskey evaporated on the breeze, at least it seemed like it because the first bottle was long gone and the second followed it when they decided that they had to rest their heads on a soft pillow and get some sleep. Becky had raised the subject of the journal briefly but a full discussion was set for tomorrow, if their hangovers would stand it.

Roxanne’s house in Scotland, not far from Inverness, but quite remote, note the ancient stone circle with what is thought to be a sacrificial alter in the centre.

A close up of the house.
When I 1st re-started gaming I bought this 2nd hand from a railway shop for £1.00, I've repainted it and fitted a thatch roof, the 1st time I had tried the towel method of thatching, I have got better at it since then - honest. With this building it looks like the house is having a bad hair day.
Not the most inspiring scenery I’m afraid, and it gets worse, but persuade yourself it's the story that counts.


Unfortunately the roof doesn't lift off and so I'm back to using a drawn ground plan, but hey ho, I don't suppose you expected much better by now.



Around about turn 2 the bad guys arrive at the end of the driveway leading to the house. Boris is one of the henchmen of Count Spaarkes. In the previous episode it was the Biker Fat Willie who was being paid to keep an eye out for anyone approaching George Phelpps house and he had immediately informed Boris.

A number of his mates had been hired for a spot of larceny and caught the next train up to Inverness. Bad dice roll for Becky as it could have been between 3 and 6 of them and she rolled a 6, this was to be a bit of a reoccurring theme in this game.

There are 13 encounter markers on the board, for obvious reasons most of them are in the house, for each marker I turn over a playing card from a deck to randomise it and the encounters are:-
Ace = The journal and files that the bad guys are after, if they find this they will also drop a clue as to how the Girls can locate them. So if the game goes down the pan there is some chance of recoveryng the situation.
2 = Nothing
3 = Nothing
4 = Nothing but the bad men drop a clue as to their whereabouts.
5 = Squeaky Floorboard, the girls roll under their awareness to wake up.
6 = Grandfather Clock chimes, roll under awareness to wake up.
7 = Dog
8 = Additional friend of Becky, there will be 6 friends written into the story eventually so this could be between 1 and 3 people.
9 = Roxanne and Gabrielle’s guns, these are registered to them and would be locked in a gun cabinet.
10 = Becky’s guns, these are not registered and are illegal, they would be still wrapped and boxed as received from her Dad.
Jack = Roxanne
Queen = Gabrielle
King = Becky

Turn 3 the guys approach the car parked in the drive, I checked the encounter marker and strangely it was a Jack, so Roxanne was in the car, as this was the middle of the night I thought this can’t be right, so I put the card back and re-shuffled the deck and drew the top card and it was a Jack, so decided it must have been Roxanne.
It transpired that because of the snoring coming from Gabrielle’s room she had not been able to sleep, so went down stairs and tried to go to sleep on the sofa, but this time because of the dogs snoring she still couldn't sleep and had eventually gone outside and fallen asleep in the car. The problem was that with the whiskey, and the snoring she was so tired at this stage that when the bad guys came creeping round she was dead to the world and did not wake until too late.

Turn 4 Boris quietly opened the car door and using a chloroform pad he ensured poor Roxanne would continue sleeping. She was bound and gagged this took them 4 turns (1D6) and was only just achieved before she woke up (1D6 turns) and shouted to raise the alarm. Boris passed his brains test and decided to leave a guard, Big Dave, which is a shame as I had written a quick rule for anyone tied up to be able to escape.


Turn 9
Big Dave seen here guarding Roxanne with the rest of the guys move on towards the house door.

Turn 10 – because Roxanne had gone to sleep in the car she had left the house door unlocked and so the guys just walked in quietly. On the hall table was a box, this was Becky’s guns but as they were not after these the guys continued through the house (don't forget this is 60's Britain - possesing a gun would be rare and a serious crime, these guy's are just muscle).

Turn 11 – Boris nearly jumped out of his skin, the Grandfather clock started chiming, this woke Becky as she was not used to the noise but Gabrielle slept through. This now meant that any unknown noise would cause alarm until she fell back asleep in 3 turns from now.


Turn 12 Boris goes into the dining room and find the additional friends, this could have been between 1 and 3 of them, I threw a 1 so only Susanne Gunn, she had arrived later than the others so was still up, drinking whiskey no doubt, something has to explain her inertia. Dutch goes into the kitchen and finds Coco the doberman, he must have been drinking whiskey as well and Eight Ball goes into the Living Room and finds the whiskey but no one else. 

Ok this is when the sh*t will hit the fan thinks I.

Susanne wins the insight test and goes 1st, roll 1D6 1,2 she screams, 3,4 she picks up a candle stick and attacks Boris, 5 she picks up a dinning knife and attacks, 6 she is stunned and does nothing. – she rolls a 6 and stands there, Boris advances hits her with a good punch to the stomach which knocks the wind out of her, and then he follows up with a quick crack to the head and she is down and out for 5 moves, plenty of time for him to bind and gag her, he is getting in some practice, it’s also becoming a bit of a bondage story I think, - bit worried about that.

Coco is asleep, roll 1D6 1,2,3 he wakes and attacks, 4,5 he wakes and barks, 6 he sleeps on. What do you know he rolls a 6 and sleeps on, Dutch quietly backs out of the room, closes the door and breaths a sigh of relief.

Turn 13, 3 of the guys go upstairs on to the landing.


Turn 14 Tank goes into the Bedroom, the door squeaks which alerts Becky, she is still awake but as she is not in this room she takes it for one of the other girls in the house, the room is empty apart from a locked gun cabinet, not what he is looking for. Billy Joe finds nothing in the bathroom, only two more rooms to go.

Turn 15 – Dutch goes into the 2nd bedroom and bingo, he finds the files and journal that they are searching for, he is so excited that he does not realize that he has dropped some paper from his back pocket, this is a hotel bill, and also a car rental agreement, if you remember there were 2 encounters where they would drop a clue that would give some way for the girls to find them if everything went wrong, both these encounters were in the same room and things were going very wrong.

Eight Ball goes into the last bedroom and finds Becky and Gabrielle in there. (In separate beds), crickey I know that there has been a bit of bondage but that’s as far as it goes. Becky is awake but Gabrielle is still asleep. “In here guys” shouts Eight Ball as he rushes across the room and gets in 3 solid punches before Becky disentangle herself from the bedding.


Turn 16 Gabrielle wakes but fails to activate, she is stunned from the whiskey and the deep sleep, Eight Ball hits Becky twice more and she goes down and out. Billy Joe and Tank run into the room and leap across to the bed on top of Gabrielle and with their combined strength easily overpower her, both girls are then bound and gagged.

The guys head on down stairs whooping and laughing, pleased it has been such easy money. They quickly leave the house having got the documents they came for without any real effort, Boris pays them off and they catch the next train south.

The girls hummm, well I said there were some rules to get free and eventually they did, but way too late, seems like a complete disaster until Roxanne finds the hotel bill for 5 people for 1 night at the Swan Hotel Inverness and also a car hire agreement in the name of Boris Baedeker with an address of the Swan Hotel Inverness. Could this be a clue !!!! dern de dern dern der as the music goes in the movies. The scene fades to black.

Will there be a next episode, is there a budget for one, who is Boris, is he really a KGB thug as Mark Copplestone would have us believe, does he work for a German guide book company or is there more to him than that?

Tune in next week for the continuing adventures of Becky and The Red Jade Buddha.

If there's anybody out there please let me know and if you're still here - Thanks for reading.



 

21 comments:

  1. Why would we not be out there John ? a couple of things, your little house was a steal for a pound & looks great (were always our own biggest critic) the grass how did you you it ? it's well suited for the wild Scottish setting.

    Your way of doing interiors is very inventive & works very well & with budgets like ours that kind of thing is important : ) a rolling script like the one your using makes for very interesting viewing, because just like yourself the audience can never guess whats going to happen next : )

    An all round great episode & I await the next trilling instalment with much eagerness : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank - I was pleased with the house when I bought it but it did look a bit tatty, if I think on I'll post a picture of in it's original state and then can bask in the glory of what I achieved with it, hahaha.
      The grass is another 3/4 finished project, it's an old towel, stretched over a bit of 3/4" ply that I had kicking around. I undercoated it with brown paint and it soaked it up - well like a towel I suppose. I sort of brushed it up so the nap stands up and when it dried it stayed that way, then a lot of green paint and a bit of dry brushing. I intended either putting a frame round it or at lest painting the edges black but never got round to it. If you look at the pictures you can see on the edge of the board the towelling, I was a bit embarrassed posting it to be honest. :-(
      I don't really like it and I made a flexible mat using decorators caulking and flock which I do like, so very rarely use the towel, I've been thinking of cutting it up for fields and I think it would work better for that.
      The interiors I'm quite pleased with to be honest, obviously it's not a new idea but they look much better than the hand drawn ones I used to use. I mount them on a light cardboard and cover it with some transparent film, they are quite durable, the only problem is that the film reflects the light for photos.
      Nothings perfect is it. :-)
      Thanks for dropping by, this interaction has got me fizzing at the moment, I have played and written up 3 games in the last week alone plus been making clutter for scenery, hopefully it will continue.

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear that John, as production is slow on my side of things (stupid swamp) I can watch your movies will I wait on glue to dry, which is not quick (stupid winter) keep the camera's rolling, oh meant to add in the last comment I would have thought that bondage was all the rage in 60s Britten as I seem to recall some scandal with a politician, I think someone might have made a movie about it : )

      Delete
    3. Sorry to hear that the swamp is only coming on slowly. Is there any mileage in shooting scenes out of sequence, eg scene 6 and going back to 4 later or does the campaign book preclude that?
      I did buy Tomb of the Serpent but I've not opened it yet.
      I was planning on porting the scenario's into my world rather than pulp alley and to give me ideas rather than hurting my brain thinking up my own.
      I'm not so sure it was just 60's Britain, it's probably still going on but we should probably draw a veil over that ;-)
      We keep getting snow here but today it was sunny and so tried spray undercoating some sacks, pack horses and monkeys outside, and then the spray can ran out - bugger. It's hard being a set designer. :-D

      Delete
    4. Sadly not John as while its a movie : ) I play it out as a game, so playing out turn 6 might be hard without knowing what happen in turn 4, the audience might get a bit confused if someone claimed the major plot point in turn 6 that had earlier been removed from the action lol

      To keep things moving along I got the script team to pen a one off low budget movie that's ready to go right away, its a remake but that seems to in fashion these's days.

      I have the Tomb of the Serpent book but felt that I'd have more work to do if I'd gone with that one, but if your only looking for ideas it should be helpful to you.

      Reading your stuff I'm thinking more & more of going down the road of using a made up rule set after I finish the Perilous Island story & will probably do so when I start back on the Heart Stone of Africa, I just love that felling when watching your stuff of not knowing whats going to happen next, eg will she wake up or has she had to many whiskies lol

      Delete
    5. Yes - when I've had too many whiskeys I tend to sleep soundly as well. :-0

      Delete
  2. Well that didn't go so well for Becky and her friends... which wasn't at all surprising given the amount of whiskey they drank!!!!!! Let that be a lesson to them!
    Seriously though, that was so much fun! I have to say that in the hands of another director that could have turned out very sleazy, what with girls sleeping together and so much bondage going on, but good on you, John, for keeping it the right side of decent! ;-)
    Once again, great looking scenery (I do like these coloured floor-plans) and beautifully painted miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryan I did explain that the girls were in separate beds, I know there is only 1 on the plan but that is beside the point. ;-) Tying up and gagging is a legitimate tactic used by the Lone Ranger, Captain Jack Sparrow, The Famous Five and very many other children's books. If your not careful I shall get classed as an adult blog and you'll not be old enough to read it!!!
    Thanks for the nice comments though before I get banned.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bit of a disaster for Becky and the girls, but another great episode in the series which also highlighted your 'encounter tokens' system which really does work well :-)
    Top marks on the floor plans, which scores yet another "idea to pinch" rating (I do believe that's been at least ONE for every post so far!), but Roxanne needs to replace her guard dog ;-)
    Thoroughly enjoyed reading this after a hard day 'at the office', and looking forward to further episodes (as long as you don't neglect the Old West tales y'hear pardner?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg I've probably already said this but I got the encounter idea from .45 Thrilling Adventure Rules, something like that. Look up Rattrap Productions, they do some comprehensive taster rule sets which I find a bit complex but I found some scenarios for games using this style of encounter markers and it works really well for solo games. There were a series of 3 linked games for 4 players which I played 2 of and basically even if you loose there is some logical way to get to the next location. So in this game if Becky had won the bad guy's would have turned up later after all they always do, but if Becky lost how is she going to recover the situation - hence the clue to the whereabouts of the bad men.
      Coco !!! how could I name a doberman Coco I should have painted a pink bow in it's hair.
      The Old West - played 3 games this last week, all written up.

      Delete
  5. What a great scenario; it has so many very good aspects and ideas that it's hard to know what to comment on. The whole of the scenery looks great, including your Poundland house!
    The ground plans look very good too and are probably a lot quicker than trying to build 3D interiors too, which I;ve tried with limited success. I do like the 13 card trick for encountering different things, some relevant to the story and some maybe not so much, but all adding to the overall suspense.
    The 'on-the-fly rules you came up with produced some great dice rolls which were all in keeping with the whole storyline too - I was very impressed.
    Overall the entertainment value of the whole caper was far more than I'd anticipated - keep 'em coming please, 'cos I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe - that's damn nice of you to say so - Thanks and really pleased that you are getting some enjoyment from the games. I was a bit concerned about the Tales of Becky because they are a bit more of a story line game, than is perhaps normal and when I look at them after I've written it up there doesn't seem to be much happening.
      I'm curious how you know when I've posted a game? You are not following and I'm not listed on your blog, is there some other way to check on posts that I don't know about?

      Delete
    2. I am following your blog, though your followers list doesn't seem to want to recognise me (it's happened on another blog I recently joined too). I see your latest posts on my blogger dashboard.
      If you check the faceless follower, that's me (I had to check too, by hovering over the email icon on the followers details!)

      Delete
    3. I wonder if it's something in your settings. If I click on the grey man I can see the blogs you follow but it doesn't show me any other details about you, not even that you have a blog. I checked Dizbuster and Wargames Addict blogs and the same grey man following the same blog list so I assume that is you but I don't get to see your famous picture.

      I assume that is you looking like some biblical Jehovan prophet.

      Delete
    4. I've tried to find the problem, but my tech-fu is weak.
      The photo was taken by a friend years ago and it is me

      Delete
    5. tech-fu is like google-fu - it always fails when you need it most.

      I just know that if we could see more of the area around your head we would see lightening bolts and God speaking from the clouds.

      My Avatar looks a bit like me but I'm not quite so fat ;-)
      Cheers

      Delete
  6. I think the interior floor plans look great. It all does, in fact.

    Very cool scenario and retelling. That bondage quip made me smile! but I reckon you ruined it for a lot of your male readers when you revealed that the two girls weren't sharing (though, again, your comment made me smile).

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy - I'm a bit worried about the people that seem to be attracted to the Blog. I posted this on LAF and no one mentioned the B word and there would have been a few hundred viewings, but here almost everyone has picked up on my innocent comment.
      Don't mention it to anyone else, we'll just keep it between ourselves. OK. ;-)

      I've used scraps of paper for floor plans for years and only recently started making decent ones, it's so easy I don't know why I didn't do it years ago, but the same could be said for a lot of the stuff I'm doing now to try and make the pictures as good as I can.
      Take care

      Delete
  7. Another cracking episode. I love the fact that it doesn’t all go the heroes way!

    ReplyDelete