Welcome

A Warm Welcome to my Blog




Tuesday 27 February 2018

A Western Adventure - Gunfight in Little Whiskey

The town is growing apace and Rob ‘Slim’ Tilney has just opened his gun shop. In such a lawless place he is bound to make a killing! Perhaps I mean – bound to make a lot of money.

Slim on his front porch, viewing his new home town and wondering if he will settle here, unlike the previous, well countless places he has tried before.

The previous story is here

The rear of his new property, only needs the door to the sh*t house fixing and everything will be good. Mind you he is on the edge of town with no neighbours. No we probably don’t want to go there.

A general view of the south side of town, the new business is on the right. Note behind the Wells Fargo office on the left are some of the new DAS sacks and packs I’ve made.

A close up of the back of previous new building in town – the Westmoreland Grocery company Store. The business occupying the top floor is Blond Edna’s Saloon and Brothel. Edna has not arrived in town yet, but she has sent on her old signs from the previous business which was very successful - until the pox hit town, her girls died and so did her customers. She doesn’t advertise this fact – but that’s marketing for you.

Out front of the Westmoreland, Sarah is in conversation with Joe Turner and Jane Grey, they have delivered their small herd of cattle and are on their way back home. Some of Sarah’s stock has arrived and she’s in business. She is still running the Wells Fargo Office but the hot news is that a new mans been appointed and should be here soon. Yes I've been painting.

Over in the coral Jim is also in deep conversation with Shawnee Mary, he does seem to have some attraction for good looking women, could it be that big bushy beard or the pot belly, tricky!!!

And as always, Sweet Sticky Fingers is inspecting the latest load of lumber for the next building in this thriving town. There is a rumour that the railroad will pass through here. That will make his day - indeed his year.

A gratuitous shot to show off some more of my new sacks made from DAS. Oh and mustn’t forget my home made hitchin rail and water trough. Brag, Brag, Brag. Sorry.

More of the new sacks and some new packs as well. Have you realised yet I made some stuff from Das.

Ahh it looks like the town tour has finished as Frank MacAulay flanked by Snake Eyes Pete and Dangerous Dave start to walk down Main Street. You may not remember but they got the drop on Joe and Jane last time they passed through town. It did not sit well with either Joe or Jane.

Stepping out into the centre of the street Joe drawls “I think we have a little business to settle here – don’t you hombre”?

Mary and Jim think the same but Jim is as usual unarmed, and Mary is just a girl!

On his front porch Slim Tilney is wondering what sort of a town he has set up business in.

There’s going to be trouble.

Jim and Mary thinks so too.

So does Ruben, these two old timers can’t be wrong, even the slip of a girl thinks so. This is the build up – Ok. I’m trying to generate a little tension here before the gunfight.


Yep they were all right.


Frank draws fires and hits Joe in the right leg, not too bad except he hit the femoral artery and Joe is down bleeding to death.

Dave lowers his big shotgun and blasts away hitting Jane in the chest and head. The head wound was just a graze but the blast to the chest blew her on her back, out of the fight. Pete just froze. He had seen his share of showdowns but never been at the wrong end of one before.


This was the dice roll for the draw down, roll 1D6 per Rep roll 3 or less and that’s a pass, Frank rolls 3D6 and got 3D at 3 or less so scores 3, Joe and Jane only scored 1 pass. High goes first.

The gun fire drew English Bob to the window, this is what he could see. Well if the windows were clean this is what he would have seen.

Mary – well she might only be a girl but she’s better than any man there and she pulled both guns and opened fire on the bas**rds in the street. She missed Pete with the revolver in her right hand but dropped him with a neat shot to the head with the pistol in her left hand.

Note to oneself – she must be left handed, why didn’t I know that?

Dave sees Pete drop to the floor and ducks back to the nearest cover and Frank. Well Frank the big boss runs as fast as he can.

Dave hiding behind the well and Frank doing the 100m as fast he can, you should just be able to see him in the distance. His back is a familiar sight to anyone reading a few of these games.

As usual at least one gratuitous shot. Although this might be the second! Or perhaps third one.

Pretty soon Slim’s going to have to decide where he stands. Not on his porch that’s for sure.

Sarah runs out into the street and applies a tourniquet to Joe’s leg, maybe she will save his life. I'm sure dGG will let us know if this is possible.

English Bob steps out into the street. Yes I think that is a star on his chest.

In his Bullfrog voice he shout’s “Drop your gun – I am the Law”. Shades of Judge Dread - Dave is a little slow.

Dave turns and fires but forgot that he had already used both barrels, oh crap. Bob’s shotgun sounds almost as loud as Bob’s voice, Dave is hit – bad.

Well another day another killing in Little Whiskey.

The next building is about to go up, actually two building and there is a gold star for whoever can guess what both buildings are, although it is actually four businesses I'll settle for the names over the two front doors.

If there's anybody out there, please let me know and if you are still here - thanks for reading.

33 comments:

  1. No two ways about it, "Shoot & Skedaddle" Frank and the rest of the MacAulay are nuthin but trouble in Li'l Whiskey! If these boys and their ilk are going to hang around, I reckon the town's gonna need a Doc's business before long - and maybe an undertakers for the less fortunate.
    Did I see some new Das stuff added to the scatter terrain? and NICE work on the hitchin rail and water trough.
    Thanks for another cracking post John, great to hear you've been painting some more characters :-)
    Oh, and another guess at the new businesses - a barbers? (who also pulls teeth 50c anesthetic 50c extra)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg - I pleased you recognised the DAS work, I didn't think anyone would notice. :-) Well 3 good guesses at the buildings they are all on the original list but wrong on every count.
      I think the MacAulay bunch are only so mean and onery because I used Army Painter dip on them and they really need a re-paint, but there's so much else to do, so that's not going to happen soon.

      Delete
  2. Watching the town grow is just wow John, seen as there's a new lawman (you gave him at least a 3 movie contact right ? ) I would be thing a jail, undertakers, did you say something about a rail-station & a flower shop, well with all the shooting going on it's bound to be a money maker right : )

    Another great movie John & can't wait for the next one : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank, Whiskey Jack is in negotiations with him, but he's having to do it from his sick bed as he hasn't recovered from the shooting yet. You may remember the last lawman who passed through didn't stay long although I hear he is recovering from his wounds, so a 3 movie contract might be pushing it.
      FLOWER SHOP - good god man this is Little Whiskey we don't have no stinking FLOWER SHOP here :-) :-) :-) actually I quite like that idea. ;-) 3 out of 4 wrong and 1 half right.
      Cheers

      Delete
  3. It is always a treat when you post a Little Whiskey batrep, John, and this one certainly did not disappoint.
    Good to see you putting your supply of DAS to such good use. Whenever I mix up too much Milliput or Green Stuff, I always make sacks with whatever's left over.
    The town is growing nicely. There are so many establishments you could add that it's hard to pin down what's coming next, but I'll make a guess at a sheriff's office/jailhouse and a doctor's/undertaker's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bryan I haven't used DAS for aeons and that was terrain for 1/300 modern armour trees, hedges and haystacks. I did use it for a stone chimney on a log cabin once but it crumbled away after about 20 years.
      Do you use Milliput as a substitute for Green Stuff or for different things. I do have some of it kicking around somewhere but never got round to trying it.
      2 good guesses and 1 is right - well done.

      Delete
    2. I meant I haven't used DAS for aeons before doing this lot. I also did some cactus but didn't get it finished for this game, it wasn't very satisfactory and I wondered if Milliput might be a better bet.

      Delete
    3. John, I use Milliput far more than I use green stuff. When I started sculpting figures way back in the early 1980's Milliput was all you could buy. As such, I'm much more used to using it. Green Stuff is great for sculpting figures but I tend not to use it very often. The standard Milliput gets used a lot to smooth the bases of my figures, either by filling in any gaps in slottabases (which I don't really like) or building up the areas around figures with integral bases.

      Oh, I'm so chuffed that one of my two guesses was right. That's made my day! :-)

      Delete
    4. Thanks for this info Bryan - For bases I normally use a pva, sand, coloured paint, powder filler mix that covers the base and then drop 4 to 6 different mixtures of flock, dried tea, sawdust, and herbs on top, to get the final finish. I have to say these clear bases are a doddle in comparison.

      Delete
  4. The townsfolk of Little Whiskey have a way of celebrating every new building in town. I really fear for all of them when they get two at once!
    (I really doubt that they needed a gunsmith!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe - celebrating the new buildings seems to be a fact of life, they are just a happy go lucky bunch in Little Whiskey. I'm a bit stumped as to how to celebrate the completion of the town with the next building. No I've just thought what to do.

      Most of the buildings have magnets in the signs so that I can change the business and it's name. Part way through this building process I decided that I was not sure that I liked the idea of wooden planked buildings on a semi arid board and I am considering building a new town of adobe for this board and maybe moving Little Whiskey back north to Montana on a green board with trees, hence the changeable signs.
      You always need a good supply of bullets, but maybe if Slim doesn't make it (and I don't like the figure) we could see a change of ownership.

      Delete
    2. There are many planked building in the Tombstone photographs I have and Tombstone's basically in a desert.
      You've undoubtedly already got the buildings to add to this set-up, but I'd guess a Bank (which I reckon wou ld look good in brick, adobe pr planking - as long as it has a safe! Also somefor of Law enforecement Office/jail.
      I recollect seeing a real jail made from Railway sleepers too!

      Delete
    3. Joe you get the Gold Star, spot on with the new buildings.

      Regarding the clapboard buildings, I was give some information that went along the lines that the original buildings in most south western towns was adobe because that was what was available, but as soon as the Anglo contingent either could afford or had access to wood planks they either re-built or clad the houses in timber, because that was what folk back east did and was the "civilized" way of living. I say civilized because I believe that's what they thought then, not what I think.
      The other reason is that I've always wanted some adobe buildings and I made a mess of the two I build way back when, so would like to re-visit them, also I think they might be easy. ;-)

      Delete
  5. That is all kinds of awesome John! And hands down some of the best looking buildings I've ever seen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey Ivor, that's very nice of you to say so - thanks.

      I don't know if you ever saw my thread on LAF were I was basically asking for advice about western town buildings and layouts, I got a lot of helpful advice that helped me formulate the sort of look I was trying to achieve. I guess because this has been done over a relatively short time it looks homogenous and blends reasonably well. I think it's like your recent post where all the clutter adds to the overall effect.
      By the way I don't go on TMP often but I saw your western post has been Tangoed. He does give you credit though. :-)

      Delete
  6. Awesome. Jim obviously has a well groomed beard I reckon. All the ladies love a well groomed man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this campaign and your terrain is just brilliant! With regard to the tourniquet, it buys you time and that’s about it I’m afraid (I’ve only ever used one in my career!) my guess is unless Joe gets to a surgeon who can fix the artery (hugely unlikely) and in those days, would mean cauterisation and amputation of the limb, then
    Joe is gonna die and soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate, thanks for your expert advice and nice comments, it doesn't sound good for Joe and he's probably my favourite figure. :-(

      Delete
    2. No doubt his twin brother, whom he never mentioned, can turn up to take his place and avenge his death. Cliched? Of course it is!

      Delete
    3. Umm not bad but I think I have an even better idea. See what you think when it arrives:-D

      Delete
  9. I never tire of reading your ABR's. The laffs and the tension balance just right. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really pleased you are here, I've just run through your blog set up and it's looking very good.
      Just one question do I call you T.C. or M.C. ? Or do you have a more mundane name :-)
      Cheers

      Delete
    2. MC will do just peachy. I will leave all my comments to you here on Blogger rather then LAForum. Preferring here rather then there. Unless you post something on there and not here. ;-)

      Delete
    3. OK - my intention is to post all my games here, including the ones I've already posted on LAF, I do try and remember to say that in the opening of each one so you don't have a deja vu moment halfway down a post.

      Delete
  10. Another great if short (for those involved) adventure.
    Those DAS thingies were extremely well done, small wonders, I must say ;-)
    DAS ist gut, as they say
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DAS gut is true. Dead easy to do and low cost, my kind of terrain. :-)

      Yes a short story but I very much enjoyed writing it. 24 pictures for a 7 man fight!!! and over in seconds, but I think that's how they were.
      Cheers

      Delete
  11. Blooming 'eck! 30 comments posted already... For such a young blog it's well frequented. You must be doing something right, John!

    Once got trapped inside our upstairs toilet when the latch broke. Nobody else was in the house and I had to wait for somebody to come home to throw me a screwdriver through the window - thank heaven's for loose pin hinges! I can definitely see the benefit of leaving the door off the bog.

    Another top post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheers Roy, I really don't know if that's true, we'll see over the longer run because the blog will just be about my games and that will probably get boring over a period of time.

    I've had this outhouse for ages and it's still not finished the daft thing is it gets on the table more than most of my figures!!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry the other thing I was going to say was that I have dropped lucky and had some really nice guy's pick up on the blog and I am very much enjoying the craic.

      I would have said that if I hadn't pressed the wrong button first. Duhhh

      Delete