Welcome

A Warm Welcome to my Blog




Thursday 4 January 2018

The Adventures of Becky - The Red Jade Budha


Rebecca Beaumont (Becky) born 1944 is the only daughter of Charles Beaumont the archaeologist and Countess Juliana Elena Alverez. Her parents divorced when she was 6, but remained friends and her father kept in contact, he would write long rambling letters with unusual post marks and returned home at irregular intervals, always with fascinating tales of strange far away lands, and people with customs far different from her own country.

The divorce had a dramatic effect on her, at school she was shy and introverted but as she matured in her teens she met and became inseparable friends with Gabrielle Ross and Roxanne Ju and they were known to the staff as the Wild Bunch, their escapades became legend. They were fortunate in that both Roxanne and Gabrielle's parents were very wealthy indeed and contributed to the schools New Wing and The Countess Alverez was a life long friend of the Headmistress, otherwise their time at school would have been shorter.

Notwithstanding this she grew up with a love of history and culture and so it was no surprise that when the time came she followed in her father’s footsteps and worked hard to get a 1st in Oriental History and intends to become an Archaeologist in her own right.



Charles Beaumont born 1910 died 1963? was/is an archaeologist of some renown in the 1930’s before the war. He then served with distinction in the Middle East, working with Army Intelligence in the countries that he knew well from his time digging up old bones as he liked to call his work.

Married in 1943 to Countess Juliana Elena Alverez they had one daughter - Becky who was the apple of his eye. After the war he went back to the bone digging business, spending many months away from home. Naturally his marriage suffered and his wife divorced him in 1950 when Becky was young, he kept in contact with both of them and was a somewhat elusive and mysterious figure to Becky, who worshipped him with a passion.

In the late 50’s he spent a lot of time in Asia, fascinated with the Cults that had existed there, and some say still do. He worked in North West China sometimes called the Back of Beyond but his real love was South East Asia. The strange thing is that when he disappeared in 1963 no one had any idea even which area of Asia he was in, let alone which country and he hasn't been heard of since. It's generally assumed that he's dead however not everyone believes that is the case.


              
Roxanne and Gabrielle a pair of hellions from wealthy families, they have been close friend from before the dawn of time. Well quite a while, and they befriended Becky when she needed friends.

They enjoyed all the benefits of a classical education at a top class girls school, the martial arts class, the pistol and small bore rifle range and self defence for young ladies. They excelled in all these extra curricular activities, probably at the expense of the more academic ones.

Countess Juliana Elena Alverez is a well known socialite in all the capitals of Europe, there are innumerable rumours about her and some of them are even true. She is a Spanish National although she can't return to her homeland because of her strong opposition to the Nationalist cause. Lived and worked in London during the war, there doesn't seem to be much information as to what she was doing at that time, and when questioned on the subject she is strangely reticent.

Well that's the 1st part of the back story, I have been inspired by Frank with his movie style games and story line to resurrect this one of my own. If you read the Pulp section of LAF you may have caught the start of this a few years ago. I have a rough story line drafted out covering about 10 scenes, episodes or games and it was intended to be like a living movie. So the scene opens and has a script, but once the acting starts it takes on a life of it's own and the Director (me) can only hang on and go with the flow. Of course if the scene ends differently to how the script writer had it spelled out then that calls for a rewrite of the next scene, until hopefully the last scene takes place as envisioned.
That is of course if the budget holds out. This is very much 'B' Movie territory.

I have tried a similar idea before and unfortunately half the cast got killed or injured in the 2nd scene and that put an end to it, the script writer resigned.

The locations director has been out doing what Locations Directors do and these are the 1st few he has picked out.

 The Market Town of Penrith in the North of England.

 Roxanne's house near to Inverness, Scotland.

A close up of the house.

The centre of Inverness on a Saturday night. OK I know it's a little livelier than this.

Near Selkirk in Reiver country Scottish/English borderlands. Yes it is as quiet as this.

Oxfordshire countryside near the city of the dreaming spires.

On the day that she graduated she was given a big hug from her tutor Mr H Bell and immediately after he handed over a letter addressed to her and with a sad expression in his eyes told her it came from her father.

My Dearest Becky

When you receive this letter you will have gained your Degree in Archaeology and my old friend and your Tutor Hieronymus Bell will have judged the time is right for you to undertake this, your first expedition. I am only sorry that I am not there to help you but that’s the breaks you get.
You will need to travel to Penrith – Cumbria, in the north of England, I left my notes and other information with a colleague George W Phelpps and he will pass them on to you, when you give him the pass word and convince him who you are, the word is “love”.

Be careful Penrith is a wild town, at least it was the last time I was there, sheep rustling, jay walking and even after hours drinking. There is also a possibility that Count Jaques Spaark, may also be interested in the item you are to look for, you may remember me talking about him. Don’t ever trust or turn your back on him, it could be the last thing you do, he is a mean and ornery son of a bitch. However I do not see how he would make the connections to be able to get to George, or indeed be able to make the connection that you will go after the artefact in the first place.

I realise I have not told you about the Red Jade Buddha. 

Red Jade only comes from Yangchow Province in western China and the cult of the Red Jade Buddha supposedly died out in the mid 18C when the area was invaded by the European powers. Opium was their main money making enterprise but the English took control of the trade and put them out of business, they suppressed the cult until it was assumed they had finally died out.

When I was in Tibet in the late 30’s I came across the Red Jade Cult – now a criminal gang or Tong as they are called, they had in their possession the Red Jade Buddha, a 12” high statue that is reputed to have special powers, no one now knows much about it but I believe these powers are real and so does Count Jaques. It is important that you do not let the Count recover the Buddha, you must be there first and get it back to Hieronymus Bell, he will know what to do with it. Do not tell him what you are going after, he will insist on coming and at his age will only get himself in to trouble and probably you along with him.

I strongly suggest you enlist the help of your friends Roxanne and Gabrielle, they were always able to get you out of tight spots when you were all in school, you know I don’t approve of them but when the devil calls you need to be able respond in kind and those girls are the ones to do it.

Hieronymus has my twin 1911 Colts they are a good gun in a fight and never let me down, he will pass them on to you now I have no need of them, don’t forget it is illegal to carry them in England but as Mr Colt said they are a great leveller in a fight. 

It is a dangerous journey I am asking you to undertake, it has to be done and I have the utmost confidence in you.

Your ever loving Father

 Charles

18 comments:

  1. John, you had me hooked from the moment I saw Becky. I have always loved that figure! Great background for her and indeed, all of the characters. This looks like it is going to be a lot of fun to follow. I'm booking my front row seat right now and stocking up on snacks and drinks in preparation of being totally enthralled and entertained by your offering. Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan I hope you enjoy the read, but either way I would appreciate your feed back. Kev White sure can sculpt good figures, I think we would all be hooked.

      Delete
  2. It is all looking good, so far. Bios out of the way, story outline told, and the miniature terrain looks cracking. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On with the action, although there is a long way to go and I don't want my heroine killed off too soon, if at all, so no guns for a while, after all we are in Britain. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Happy New Year John, and Hello Becky!
    This looks set to be a 'must read' (and ogle the photo's) storyline and I'm looking forward to it immensely :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year to you as well Greg. I hope you find the story entertaining, it's probably going to be quite low key compared to what others have done, all I can say is that for me each game has been very tense even though there may only have been a couple of figure involved in some of the games. Let me know what you think as it unfolds.

      Delete
  5. This is so cool, how have I not found your blog before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dGG - Cool humm, hopefully it will be, we'll see. This is only my 3rd post and the blog is about 10 days old.

      I started it so I could follow a few blogs that I had read spasmodically over the last few years. I'm still in the process of setting them up. Interestingly yours is one of them. Your hospital and zombie table are excellent but I was very interested in Bushido and what you posted and hopefully will continue to do.
      Cheers

      Delete
  6. Hi John, what a cracking bit of background your script manger has come up with to go with your wonderful locations & stars, colour me very interested can't wait for the cameras to start rolling on this & want to wish you all the best with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Frank I was hoping you would drop by. I started this a few years ago but it's reading your blog recently that has got me all fired up to progress the story further.
    Some of the scenes are in the can and just need editing, some are written but these girls are great ad libbers, and the extras just ignore the script altogether, they seem to have their own agendas.

    I'm looking for villains with gravitas and a sense of brooding malevolence and I was wondering as you have recently signed Mr Rex if our two studios could do a deal as I'm hoping to sign Mr Kong on a short term contract. Perhaps we could persuade them to work together - I think we could have a block buster on our hands. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been a bit under the weather the last couple of days John hence the late showing up for this excellent post mate, yep the editing can take time & as of those females stars don't get me started :)

      Yep I'm open to all kind of things & if you've some idea you like to run with just pm over on Lead & we'll take it from there mate :)

      Delete
    2. Sorry to hear you've not been well, hope you're ok now. I've not got anything specific in mind for Mr Rex and Mr Kong it just seems that there has to be some opportunity to do something different.
      When it comes to me I'll let you know and see what you think
      Cheers

      Delete
  8. Very good set-up for a very interesting series of scenarios, looking forward to seeing how this progresses/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, I decided Penrith my 1st location looked a bit bare so I've just re-shot the photos for it, this is my planned next post.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Hi Lon, nice to see you here, the games in an posting here are a mix of new ones and old ones that I posted on LAF, I'm hoping to get further with the Red Jade Buddha storyline than before :-)

      Delete
  10. Late to the party, but I'm slowly working my way through your blog. Great locations! (I have been to Inverness a couple of times) The actors look good and the bios and script sound good, too. I'm looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Fitz I've adopted a bit of a scattergun approach with no real continuity to subject but tried to keep the labels relevant, so you could follow specific theme's if you choose.
    Thanks for letting me know you've been here.

    ReplyDelete